T H E         H u b B U B

An International Online Journal of the Arts, Language, Entertainment, Culture and Pseudo-intellectuality


Tuesday, July 11, 2006

LAST THOUGHTS ON SYD BARRETT

Syd Barrett died the other day
As he watched the network news
The Madcap cried and passed away
This world gave him the blues

It wasn't that Pink Floyd fired him
From a band that he had started
It wasn't that they got real huge
Right after he departed

It wasn't his mind all burnt to hell
On dope and LSD
It wasn't the albums he couldn't sell
Nor his obesity

It wasn't his shaved eyebrows
Or obsession with T.V.
It wasn't isolation
Or the friends he wouldn't see

No, the thing that made Syd Barrett cry
And sent his spirit past us
Poor Syd had learned
That Dana Tyler
Was banging Ernie Anastious

10 Comments:

Blogger Slag said...

This is incredibly sad news, Dana Tyler is banging Ernie Anastious!

I guess she got tired of that hobbit Phil Collins.

July 11, 2006  
Blogger Ace Starry said...

Bravo Smelly! Another fine piece of poetry my friend.

July 12, 2006  
Blogger CJM said...

Did you mean Ernie Anastos? Your original post (if corrected later) referred to Ernie Anastious. Not that I’m looking for a copy editor's job or anything.

And by the way, Smelly, do your students ever say (or sing) to you: "we don't need no education?" You know, that familiar line from that song by The Who.

July 12, 2006  
Blogger smelly said...

That's how I thought Ernie spelled his name! Anyway, CMJ, it's not like I'm some kind of stickler for the mechanics of writing or even making much sense when I do. It's like that old Justin Timberlake song that goes:
"This post is my post,
This post ain't your post.
A frickin' Spell Nazi
Ain't what I need most.
So keep your big nose,
Out of my french toast.
Let me do what I frickin' please."

July 12, 2006  
Blogger CJM said...

What's the deal with Pink Floyd and The Wizard of Oz?

July 16, 2006  
Blogger smelly said...

Slag and I tried it out years ago and there were a few weird coincidences between the words being sung and the images from the movie.
Start the album Dark Side Of The Moon right after the third roar of the MGM lion at the beginning of Oz.
I forget what they were because, well, let's just say we were listening to Pink Floyd appropriately and leave it at that.

July 18, 2006  
Blogger CJM said...

Save yourself the hassle of renting the DVD and starting that album at just the right spot: click on the The Wizard of Oz link in my July 16 Comment above. And please listen appropriately. Or maybe I mean listen inappropriately.

July 18, 2006  
Blogger smelly said...

That was really cool. Thanks CJM.
It was a very necessary antidote to the thrubbing my eyes and ears got by that Hasselhoff video posted by ace.

July 20, 2006  
Blogger CJM said...

Cool Sid Barrett Link.

July 20, 2006  
Blogger CJM said...

Oops. That's Syd Barrett. What do I know about those early-but-quickly-disappeared members of the Beatles?

July 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< The Hubbub Home Page