T H E         H u b B U B

An International Online Journal of the Arts, Language, Entertainment, Culture and Pseudo-intellectuality


Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Mike Kelly: Beer Nutz (Brand Songs)


Mike Kelly, the ribald raconteur of River Edge, is back with a triumphant new CD after a five-year hiatus. "Beer Nutz (Brand Songs)" is a boozy blow out of dipsomaniacal delight, featuring eleven original new songs, four of which, as you may have surmised from the title, celebrate the inebriant arts.

But "Beer Nutz" is much more than bar ballads and distilled ditties. This a mature Mike Kelly flexing his musical muscles in serious way (well except for "Go Away Poop and "My Last Pair," the former co-written by our own Stalwart and the latter proudly co-written by your own humble editor [thank you]).

We love this album and we are going to feature songs from it all week. OK, sure, we got song writing credits, but that didn't influence our opinion at all (funny, Mike has three other albums that I don't have any song writing credits on, but I can't recall their names right now, hmmmm).

Anyway, don't take our word for it, listen for yourself. The first track is the confessional "Tap That Brew." The song prominently features Producer/Guitarist Tom Gioia playing an SRV-isnpired blues guitar lead positively dripping with wah-wah effect.

Take a listen.

Tomorrow's featured track: "My Last Clean Pair"

3 Comments:

Blogger kelldog said...

Rock on hound dog...my kids prefer the obvious track #5 much to Uncle Mikes chagrin. I myself need a few more listens, some very good music...I got some girls in the kitchen...gonna tap that too...

November 07, 2006  
Blogger raw62 said...

Personally, I can not wait for the Fenian Sway.

November 08, 2006  
Blogger smelly said...

"Tap That Brew" went through a series of lyrical rewrites before I hit upon the beer party idea. First it was called "My Decision Tree" with different lyrics about not being able to make up my mind. Then it was called "Set Me Free" about a guy trying to forget an old heartbreak but it sounded too much like Diana Ross and the Supremes for my taste.
Finally I was cleaning up after a particularly messy keg party we had in our basement and the present song hit me.
So there you have it, if you care to know.

November 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< The Hubbub Home Page