T H E         H u b B U B

An International Online Journal of the Arts, Language, Entertainment, Culture and Pseudo-intellectuality


Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Today's Featured Beer Nutz Track: "My Last Clean Pair"

Mike reached deep into the Poekicker's archive for this tasty nugget. This song is partly the tale of an infamous Poekicker's gig at the Moose Hall Lodge in Clifton, NJ.

The show was in December, around Christmas time, and we had added The Band song "Christmas Must Be Tonight" just for the occasion. The way we had arranged it, Mike would sing the first verse, we'd sing the chorus together, and then I would sing the second verse which starts,"A shepherd on a hillside, while over my flock I bide." Simple right? The problem was that whenever we'd rehearse it, I would inevitably sing "A shepherd on a hilltop." We'd have to stop, Mike would yell at me "Shepard on a hillSIDE! Rhymes with BIDE!" and we'd have to do it over.

Come the night of the show, we ran through our first set, everything was going good, so as Paul Simon would say, we stepped outside to smoke ourselves a "j" before the second set. "Christmas Must Be Tonight" was to be the second set opener. Mike reminded me, "Shepard on a hillSIDE! Rhymes with BIDE!" OK I got it.

The problem now though was that when we went back inside, and the warm air hit us, I was suddenly REALLY high, and now very paranoid over this line.

We started the song, Mike signing the first verse, me not paying attention at all, just saying over in my head "shepherd on a hillside, rhymes with bide,""shepherd on a hillside, rhymes with bide." We made it through the chorus, and I am still just thinking "shepherd on a hillside, rhymes with bide." I open my mouth to sing the second verse and out comes "Shepherd on a hillTOP."

Mike just glared at me with a look of WTF? I think that is the only time I have ever seen him really mad.

But me being the consumate professional, I saved the flub by improvising the next line as "over my flock I a bop." The drunks at the bar never noticed the difference, so we finished our set and had a great time getting snockered with the Mooses for the rest of the night.

For the song, we had to change a few of the details to fit the meter and the rhymes, but you get the idea.

Now, without further delay, "My Last Clean Pair"

3 Comments:

Blogger smelly said...

The entire second verse, the one about the guy spying on his sexy landlady, was written by our beloved editor Slag.
I believe he has been called a "Peeping Tom" in the past.
Or was just plain old "Tom"?
I can't recall.
But I do remember that fateful gig at the Moose Lodge as the nadir of our Poekickers live act.
We went on to take the Greenwich Village muffinhouse circuit by storm with our legendary shows at Jane's Cafe and Coffeehouse which surprisingly served a hell of a lot more beer than java when we played.

November 09, 2006  
Blogger raw62 said...

There was that great show on the "waterfront" down by Giats staduim. Oh the memories

November 10, 2006  
Blogger raw62 said...

wow could the spelling be worse????
looks like I am getting a flashback from that night of cheese and tasties.

November 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< The Hubbub Home Page