T H E         H u b B U B

An International Online Journal of the Arts, Language, Entertainment, Culture and Pseudo-intellectuality


Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Original of this Post was removed by a Dictator!

The Original:

Democracy is Temporary in Nature...

Thucydides, author of History of the Pelopennesian War, described the fall of the lazy, hedonistic Athenian democracy. About the time our original thirteen states adopted their new constitution, Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior:
"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:
  1. From bondage to spiritual faith;
  2. From spiritual faith to great courage;
  3. From courage to liberty;
  4. From liberty to abundance;
  5. From abundance to complacency;
  6. From complacency to apathy;
  7. From apathy to dependence;
  8. From dependence back into bondage."
Professor Joseph Olson of Hamline University School of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota, believes the United States is now somewhere between the "complacency & apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some 40 percent of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.

Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.

While you're pondering all that, here's the obligatory post-ending sizzle:

_____________________________________________________________

Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 23:05:54 -0400
Subject: Your Post
From: "Slag" poekicker@gmail.com
To: "N--- M---" m---1-----@y----.com

Your post about America's slide into apathy, just before our inevitable bondage at the hands of a dictatorship was borderline. Your follow-up comment re-visiting the results of the 2000 presidential election sent it over the edge. I removed it.

Rise up complacent Hubbub Contributors and readers! Fight The Hubbub Dictatorship! Stop the slide now! Slag is a megalomaniac with too much absolute power who thinks his two legs are better! And we all know where that leads.

4 Comments:

Blogger Slag said...

CJM'as recation to my email:

"My reaction is FUCK YOU. It was history, thought provoking and the cartoon image of the stature of liberty made it somewhat of a lampoon, a hedonistic example of complacency about democracy. It took a long time to compose and construct. I held off on the political stuff until the comment. Posting rules: NO Politics. Comment rules too? You could have deleted my Comment with your admin rights. Over 60% of this site are my posts! I thought you were joking about taking it down. I quit. Every one of my posts will be deleted tonight."

My response:

"****, I have a life. I do this for fun. The rules I set up to keep this fun are no politics and no religion. You can pretend that your post on democracy isn’t politics, but your follow up comment proved otherwise.

So here is the deal, your post on democracy can stay on The Hubbub, but you can’t. I don’t have to take shit from you from you, so you are gone from The Hubbub. Go bother someone else now."

Can we back to just having fun now?

August 08, 2006  
Blogger raw62 said...

Is this considered a political commentary or just a social commentary? While it is a broad stroke of politics I vote that it is a social staement and should stay.
As far as the "power" of an editor, that is a dirty job and someone has to do it. I myself had a post removed yesterday but after mulling over the content of my article I agreed that Perry White pulled the plug correctly. It could have been construed as "off color" humor. Kudos to Perry.

Sincerely,

Jimmy Olsen

August 08, 2006  
Blogger kelldog said...

I think that******and if we **** then our country will***** under the leadership of *****and as I said yesterday before my comments were obliterated, wheres my tax cut, I want more and I could care less.
This comment has been cleared and censured by The Ruling Party.

August 08, 2006  
Blogger Ace Starry said...

Hey it's not that difficult to start your own political blog. You want politics or back-handed political jabs not even cleverly disguised as such, then do it on your own. Hey maybe he'll find an audience.

As for me, I considered not writing for this blog at all because I didn't want to get into endless political railings and rantings from some misguided or misinformed political misanthropes.

Bravo for an editor with the guts to take responsibility and do a job that is based upon a set of agreed to rules. Shame on the "crybabies" who want to throw out the rules whenever they don't work in their favor.

August 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< The Hubbub Home Page