T H E         H u b B U B

An International Online Journal of the Arts, Language, Entertainment, Culture and Pseudo-intellectuality


Saturday, October 14, 2006

A Saturday Afternoon Trifecta (almost)...

Went out for a walk this afternoon with the wife and baby. Got a bittersweet chocolate brownie and a $1 cup of hot apple cider at the Farmer's Market in Union Square, just me. Made our way down the west side of Broadway and at the 12th Street block stumbled upon a store with this child's outfit displayed in its window:

Further down at the 11th Street block stumbled upon this poster in a RadioShack window:

I felt it was destiny. Soon we would stumble upon some image of Dylan. We walked down to 8th Street and headed east. Near the Astor Place cube there were some folks selling record albums out of milk crates. I'm sure I could have found a Dylan album to take a photo of, but I would have had to pull one out, and probably only after several minutes of looking. I wanted to stumble across an image of Dylan, destiny remember? We continued east on St. Mark's Place and passed Grassroots Tavern, featured in this April post (see also: this post). But there was no Dylan image viewable in any of the storefronts between Cooper Union and 2nd Avenue, on either side. At 2nd Avenue my wife and baby finally left me to my obsession and headed to the playground.

On my own now I walked past the long line outside Pommes Frites and made my way into Love Saves the Day, the famous vintage store at 119 2nd Avenue (near 7th). The store was featured in the Madonna movie Desperately Seeking Susan and may or may not be just days away from closing its doors due to a huge rent hike (Google searches resulted in conflicting accounts; there may have been a deal struck). In any event, skyrocketing rents are reeking havoc on many East Village institutions these days, like the 2nd Avenue Deli and the renowned CBGBs, which is closing its doors this weekend for high rent-related reasons. CBGBs, as you all know, was the launchpad for many bands, including The Ramones (watch THIS video!), that legendary punk band fronted by Joey Ramone, who a number of the Contributors to this site famously met in 1986. By the way, did you know that Johnny Ramone was a Republican? Anyway, there were no Dylan-related kitsch items at Love Saves the Day to take a photo of, but there was a lot of Beatles stuff. I gave up and headed to the playground where family duties cried out.

So it wasn't destiny; I didn't complete the trifecta. But the street featured on the cover of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan album below is the one block long Jones Street, connecting West 4th Street and Bleecker in an area between 6th and 7th Avenue. And I can assure you, I have walked down that street, just not today. But I see that RAW62 covered us on Dylan today. Nice job! All in a day's work at The Hubbub. Beatles.

2 Comments:

Blogger smelly said...

A fun day, man.
(That's me on the right)
Vinny would have loved that day.
We ended up going back home and kept the drinking going as we watched the Mets spank the Cards and tie the series at two.

October 16, 2006  
Blogger du4jay said...

Man I love NYC- I have a song about it on my webpage right now.

I am going to try to get up there for Christmas time just for a weekend.

October 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< The Hubbub Home Page